Haven't you heard? Google is launching a new version of Google Sheets which is even better than before!! The new Google Sheets also supports Add-ons, which extend the capabilities of the spreadsheets. Much like apps for your smartphone, these Add-ons can be written by anyone, rated by users, and of course installed by you. And now, the Add-on for Flubaroo is available to install!
By sheer coincidence, this comes exactly 3 years after the first version of Flubaroo was released. So to celebrate the Add-on, and Flubaroo's 3rd birthday, I'm excited to introduce a brand-new logo for Flubaroo! Big thanks to Katelyn Zaleski who used her awesome creative skills to design the new logo!
You'll find that Flubaroo runs much faster in the new Google Sheets, so your grading should take even less time than before! Add-ons also only need to be installed once (not in each spreadsheet), and support auto-updates. That means you now only need to install Flubaroo once, and forever more you'll have the latest and greatest version!
If you're already using the new Google Sheets, you can install the Add-on using the button below! And while you're there, be sure to rate and review it!
If you're still using the old version of sheets for now, that's OK. You can still continue to use Flubaroo as usual by installing it from the Script Gallery. But the version of Flubaroo in the Script Gallery will no longer be updated or actively supported. So why wait? Upgrade to the new Google Sheets today!!
You can now grade numerical ranges with Flubaroo (version 3.1)! A BIG THANKS goes out to Andrew Roberts (andrewroberts.net) for coding up this latest feature for Flubaroo!
This new feature is useful for math or science assignments, in which the exact precision of the answer doesn't matter much. For example, consider this sample question:
Sample question: What is the area of a circle of radius 5cm? Give your answer in cm^2.
If a student uses 3.14 as their value for PI, then they would get an answer of 3.14 * 52 = 78.500 cm2. But if they use 3.14159, they would get: 3.14159 * 5^2 = 78.5398 cm2. As an instructor, you probably want to mark both possible answers as correct (and anything in-between).
To ensure Flubaroo does this, you can enter your answer key as:
78.5 %to 78.54
Here, the special %to operator tells Flubaroo to expect a numerical answer that falls between the numbers given. Strictly, for a range of A %to B, an answer x will be correct if A <= x <= B (note the equals signs).
But wait, there's more....
Because Flubaroo is expecting a numerical input for this question, the student could also enter 7.85e1 (shorthand for 7.85 * 101), and Flubaroo will also mark is as correct. So you see, a student can enter their answer in a variety of numerical formats, and all will be graded as correct so long as they fall within the acceptable number range. So all of the following submissions would marked as correct: 78.5, 7.58e1, 785e-1, etc....
Lastly, we all know that students make mistakes when entering answers. Specifically, a student may not realize that you're looking for just the numerical part of the answer, and might also include the units like this: 78.53cm2. Don't worry, before grading Flubaroo will throw away any text following the number, so this will be marked as correct too!
I'll be testing this out in my own physics class this quarter, and will be happy to advise on how it went for those interested.
Happy Flubaroo'ing, and thanks again to Andrew!
I'm excited to announce a brand new version of Flubaroo!
|This version has been a year in the making. The code has been completely re-written from the ground-up to make it faster, more reliable, and easier to add features to. Flubaroo 3.0 will be available in the Script Gallery starting June 24. Just install it from the Gallery on a new spreadsheet, or follow these instructions to upgrade an existing installation of Flubaroo.
Want to contribute to Flubaroo? I'm holding a contest for a new logo and icon for Flubaroo, which will replace the current chalkboard logo in the next version. See here for details.
Now without further ado, let's see what's new! #flubaroo #flubaroo30
1. Flubaroo just got a whole lot smarter: Smarter Emailing
|Does this scenario sound familiar: You email everyone their grades, but then another student takes the assignment late. In order to email her grade, you now have to email all the students again!
Well, fret no more! Flubaroo now only sends grades to students who have not yet
received an email!
You'll find an additional column in the Grades sheet called: Emailed Grade?
Flubaroo will place an "x" in this column when it emails a student their grade, and will then ignore these students if asked to Email Grades again. Want to send a student their email again? No problem: just remove the "x" by hand, and then select Email Grades.
2. Help Tips for Each Question
|When emailing grades, you can optionally send all students "Help Tips" for each question. These tips will be included with each question when you email students their grade.
To insert Help Tips:
- Select "Edit Help Tips" from the Flubaroo menu (see picture on right).
- Flubaroo will switch to the Student Submissions sheet. In row #2, just under the questions asked, enter an optional Help Tip in the cell below any question. The picture below shows an example.
|Note that in this example there is no Help Tip entered for the second question, so none will be emailed for that question.
If you'd like to remove a Help Tip, just delete the text, or delete the entire row to get rid of them all. Once you've entered all your Help Tips, you can select "Hide Help Tips" from the Flubaroo menu if you don't care to see them anymore.
- Cell A2 (where the submission time would go) must be left blank, so don't write in there.
- If you've made changes to Help Tips *after* grading the assignment, you will need to re-grade it before Flubaroo will recognize your changes!!
3. Individualized Student Feedback
When emailing grades, you can optionally send each student individualized feedback. The message will be delivered to the student in the email with their grades, along with any message you may have also supplied for the entire class.
To create or edit individualized feedback:
Tip: Once you're done adding and editing feedback, you can hide it by selecting "Hide Student Feedback" from the Flubaroo menu. This will keep your Grades sheet looking nice and tidy.
Select "Edit Student Feedback" from the Flubaroo menu.
You'll see a column appear in the Grades sheet titled: Feedback for Student (Optional)
- Enter feedback for your students into this column, in the row belonging to that student (see picture for example). This feedback will be emailed to their student with the grade.
4. ¿Hablas Espanol? No hay problema, so does Flubaroo!
Flubaroo now supports users who don't speak English, with Spanish as the first language supported (since Spain is the #3 user of Flubaroo by country). To switch to Spanish, just select "Set Language" from the Flubaroo menu, as shown in the picture to the right.
Once you choose "Español", Flubaroo will switch the following to Spanish:
- Names of columns and fields in spreadsheets.
- Names of sheets (see picture to right).
- Emails sent to instructors and students.
- All text in the Flubaroo user-interface. See picture below for an example.
Note that you only need to change the languages once, after which it will affect
all spreadsheets where you have Flubaroo (v3.0) installed. You can switch back to
English if you like, but take note that text already written to spreadsheets (such as column names and sheet names) will not be translated back to English when you do. So I suggest you only switch languages if you're serious and intend to stick with it.
Parlez-vous Français? Want to help add another language to Flubaroo? Contact email@example.com for information on how you can help! All of the translations in this version were supplied by Spanish speaking individuals in the Flubaroo community! Special thanks and praise goes out to these users for providing all of the Spanish translations!!!
** Felipe Calvo ** ** Gabriel Crivelli **
** Luis Escolar ** ** Iñaki Fernández **
** Manuel Fernández ** ** Gatech López **
|5. Easier to Read Emails
Remember that big ugly table sent to your students when you emailed their grades? It's been replaced by this easier to read, cleaner format:
|6. Other Fixes and Improvements
- Frozen rows and columns have been added to the Grades sheet, making it easier to navigate
- Some other minor bugs have been fixed, and some minor speed improvements have been made.
Please see these instructions to show you how to upgrade an existing installation of Flubaroo to the latest version.
-- Dave (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Hi Flubaroo Users -
I've just posted a few bug fixes to Flubaroo. These are now available in Version 2.1.
The fixes are:
- Fixed a bug in which grading more than 100 submissions sometimes caused Flubaroo to hang (issue 8).
- Flubaroo will now work for > 100 submissions with no problems.
- Fixed a bug in which the Continue button would sometimes disappear in Step 2, due to a large number of Student Identifiers (issue 9).
- This should now be fixed for most use-cases.
- Fixed a bug in which Flubaroo would stop emailing grades if it encountered an invalid email address (issue 17).
- Flubaroo will now skip over any invalid email addresses, rather than quitting when it sees one. It will also tell you how many students didn't get emailed their grades due to blank or invalid emails.
If you don't care about any of these fixes, you can just ignore this update. You'll get the new version the next time you install Flubaroo into a new spreadsheet.
But if you'd like to get these fixes in a spreadsheet that already has Flubaroo installed, you'll first need to uninstall the existing version of Flubaroo. Follow these instructions to uninstall. After uninstalling, you can re-install Flubaroo from the Script Gallery. Check "Flubaroo -> About Flubaroo" to ensure you have Version 2.1 installed. It will look like this:
Good luck, and Happy Flubarooing!
Happy New Year everyone! I'm excited to announce some new feature additions to Flubaroo, created in response to all the great feedback I've received. New to Flubaroo? Read the overview , or try it now.
Here's a summary of the new features, followed by instructions on how to upgrade!
Changes to Grading:
* Multiple Points: Have a question that should be weighted more than the others? No problem!
Flubaroo now supports more than 1 point per question. You can assign values from 1 to 5 points. Note that partial credit isn't supported.
* Low-Scoring Students: Students who scored below 70% have their entry appear in red font, for easy identification.
* More than One Correct Answer: Do you have a question with more than one possible correct answer? Now Flubaroo can support this for type-in questions. For example, this question:
could have "colors" or "colours" as the correct answer (depending where you live). To have Flubaroo consider either answer as correct, just fill out the answer key like this:
The special word %or in between the answers tells Flubaroo that either answer should be considered correct. Here's another example, with 3 possible correct answers:
This can also be helpful for math questions, where you'd like to accept all these answers as correct: 1, 1.0, 1.00.
Changes to Emails:
* Inclusion of Questions: When emailing grades, Flubaroo now gives you the option to pick whether or not you want to include the questions. This change was made because some teachers were concerned about distributing copies of their tests. The box is checked by default.
* Student's Own Responses: In the emails sent to students, Flubaroo now includes the student's own response to each question when emailing grades. This is useful for students to see exactly where they went wrong in their answer, such as in a spelling quiz.
Several other minor improvements and fixes have been rolled in too!
How to Upgrade:
If you have a spreadsheet in which you've never installed Flubaroo before, just install it from the Google Script Gallery as usual (Insert -> Script).
If you have a spreadsheet that already has Flubaroo installed, then you'll need to first remove the old version of Flubaroo before upgrading. Failing to do so can cause problems. It's easy to do! Just follow these instructions and you'll be ready to go in under a minute!
You'll know you're running the latest version when you see this message pop-up on your first install, or if you see "Version 2.0" in the "About Flubaroo" box:
I hope you find these new features useful and time saving. Please keep your feedback coming so I can continue to make Flubaroo better. I'm currently working on some additional commonly requested features, which I hope to release soon.